Saturday, March 21, 2009

Back in the Saddle

What a whirlwind winter it has been. I still have 3 ski events left this season and less than a month away from the first Mountain States Cup event. I do have to apologize for being the world's lamest blogger. I think I can count my blog entries on one hand. Jenny has done an excellent job updating with both our events and travels.
It has been in the 60s here in Gunnison. Unheard of temperatures for this time of the year. We've been hitting the road bikes this past weekend. A nice change from slogging in the snow all winter. Jenny and I even got the itch to train with Western State's distance running team this morning. We did a 4.4K tempo and I added a 600M following to really get on the toes. Its so good to get top notch runners to try and hang with. Jenny and I get our best speed workouts with the team.
Next weekend is the Grand Traverse. For Jon Brown and myself, it will be our 7th year racing together and my 8th. Eight years and only one victory. The GT is the most prestigious winter event in the Gunnison/Crested Butte valley. I think there are 120 teams of 2 this year. It sold out in 14 hours! Any of you that are good skiers and like endurance racing, this race is one of the most unique and rewarding out there. Just starting a race at midnight is cool but then covering 42 miles and 6000 vertical feet to the finish in Aspen is pretty sweet. I am looking forward to racing on my randonee equipment this year for the first time. Skiing off the star pass cornice will be much more enjoyable.
I bagged Carbon Peak for the first time this past week. Bryan Wickenhauser and I skied the spoon on Wednesday. We summited in 1:20 and were back to the car in 1:40. A firm ski but fast with the solid crust out the bottom. I think Wick said it was 3270 vertical. Wick managed to get 3rd today at Randonee nationals in Jackson Hole. Pete Swenson won and Travis Sheefer (another local from CB) was second. Travis won the 12K mountaineering event at XTERRA Winter Worlds, beating me by 11 seconds. Pete and Travis made automatic selection for worlds next season as the top 2.
Wick promised to send me a picture he got of me on the top of Carbon. I will be sure to attach on the next post. That's all for now. I will be sure to post again soon.

Brian

No comments: